How To Reset Check Engine Light on Ram 1500 Models
You’re navigating the roads of Georgetown in your RAM 1500 when suddenly, you notice an amber light pop up on your dashboard – what do you do? Luckily, learning how to reset check engine light on RAM 1500 models is not difficult. However, it might be a sign that it’s time to head to the service department.
Turning Off the RAM 1500 Check Engine Light
If you want to turn off the RAM 1500 check engine light, you need to reset the computer. This may reset other systems, such as your security or electronic systems, so be sure to keep that in mind before you begin. Once you’re ready to go, complete the following steps:
- Locate the negative cable on your battery
- Disconnect the negative cable
- Wait 20 minutes for all systems to shut down
- Reconnect the negative cable
If your vehicle is an older model, you might need to drive for up to 50 miles so the computer recalibrates its settings.
Why is My RAM 1500 Check Engine Light On?
So you’ve reset the computer, driven through Cameron, and everything seems fine. But, you’re not done yet. It’s important to find out why the check engine light popped on in the first place. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or something as critical as an engine issue. Troubleshoot with the following steps:
- First, is the check engine light really on in the first place? Double check to make sure you aren’t confusing it with another alert, like the Service Required light.
- Second, have you checked the error code? Whenever your check engine light comes on, it generates a code. You can buy a code reader from a service department if you want to go the DIY route, but many customers find that it’s easier to schedule your service to let a professional deal with the diagnosis and cure of your car woes.
- Last, have you checked your gas cap? This is one of the most common issues we see around the College Station area – and luckily, it’s one of the easiest fixes as well!
Find out More About the RAM 1500 with Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor
Now that you know how to reset check engine light on RAM 1500 models, why not learn a little more about this lineup? Learn how much does the RAM 1500 weigh and check out some of the latest RAM 1500 lease incentives with Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor in Taylor. Contact us with any questions. We can also answer more of your automotive questions, like what does TPMS mean and more!
More From Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor
If your RAM pickup takes the heat from your rugged lifestyle around Georgetown, adding RAM 1500 seat covers to your ride is the perfect way to keep your cabin clean while supplying a personal touch. Learn how these accessories can keep your truck clean and easy to maintain with help from the experts at Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor….
You’re navigating the roads of Georgetown in your RAM 1500 when suddenly, you notice an amber light pop up on your dashboard – what do you do? Luckily, learning how to reset check engine light on RAM 1500 models is not difficult. However, it might be a sign that it’s time to head to the…
The all-new 2019 RAM 1500 reaches up to 20 mpg city/25 mpg highway when properly equipped with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine, the eTorque system, and rear-wheel drive. But that’s not all! RAM 1500 gas mileage is sure to impress with best-in-class 4×4 fuel economy as well. Explore RAM 1500 fuel economy with the team…