How To Reset Check Engine Light on Ram 1500 Models
You’re navigating the roads of Georgetown in your RAM 1500 when suddenly, you notice an amber light pop up on your dashboard – what do you do? Luckily, learning how to reset check engine light on RAM 1500 models is not difficult. However, it might be a sign that it’s time to head to the service department.
Turning Off the RAM 1500 Check Engine Light
If you want to turn off the RAM 1500 check engine light, you need to reset the computer. This may reset other systems, such as your security or electronic systems, so be sure to keep that in mind before you begin. Once you’re ready to go, complete the following steps:
- Locate the negative cable on your battery
- Disconnect the negative cable
- Wait 20 minutes for all systems to shut down
- Reconnect the negative cable
If your vehicle is an older model, you might need to drive for up to 50 miles so the computer recalibrates its settings.
Why is My RAM 1500 Check Engine Light On?
So you’ve reset the computer, driven through Cameron, and everything seems fine. But, you’re not done yet. It’s important to find out why the check engine light popped on in the first place. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or something as critical as an engine issue. Troubleshoot with the following steps:
- First, is the check engine light really on in the first place? Double check to make sure you aren’t confusing it with another alert, like the Service Required light.
- Second, have you checked the error code? Whenever your check engine light comes on, it generates a code. You can buy a code reader from a service department if you want to go the DIY route, but many customers find that it’s easier to schedule your service to let a professional deal with the diagnosis and cure of your car woes.
- Last, have you checked your gas cap? This is one of the most common issues we see around the College Station area – and luckily, it’s one of the easiest fixes as well!
Find out More About the RAM 1500 with Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor
Now that you know how to reset check engine light on RAM 1500 models, why not learn a little more about this lineup? Learn how much does the RAM 1500 weigh and check out some of the latest RAM 1500 lease incentives with Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor in Taylor. Contact us with any questions. We can also answer more of your automotive questions, like what does TPMS mean and more!
More From Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor
How much can a 2020 RAM 1500 tow? Enough to earn a Best-In-Class V8 Engine Towing* capacity. When outfitted with the proper equipment, a RAM 1500 can tow up to 12,750 pounds. Whether you’re hauling equipment to the Georgetown jobsite or towing a camper for a weekend getaway in Cameron, the RAM 1500 towing…
Some vehicles are available in one trim and you can add packages to that trim. Others offer just one or two trim level choices. The 2020 Jeep Cherokee, by contrast, provides you five trim models and three unique packages you can add to select trims for impressive customization potential. At Nyle Maxwell CDJR of Taylor, we’re here to…
If you’re shopping near Georgetown for a sturdy and reliable pickup truck, look no further than the light-duty 2020 RAM 1500. This dependable vehicle offers six trim levels providing a diverse variety of features suitable for drivers of all stripes. Learn more about the new RAM 1500 trim levels below! Learn MoreNew RAM 1500 Contact…